Photo of the day
Sergeant Norman Glover, K.I.A.
Sergeant Norman Glover, K.I.A.
Please Support
Our Sponsors

Of the present church,
WESLEYAN METHODIST 1888
To
BRECHIN UNITED CHURCH 1988

__________________________________________


In the annual report to the Missionary Society of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Canada, 1861, Rev. G. T. Richardson reported that “the Point Mara Church was the main centre of the Methodist Mission work in the area.” He also reported the dedication of this church posts 16, with gothic windows.” The land, half an acre, was freely given by Bro. Wm. Ainsworth. Registration papers were drawn up May 20, 1862 for this property on the northwest corner of lot 12, conc. 3. Elizabeth Ainsworth gave up her dower rights for 5 shillings.

Trustees of the church were Thomas McDonald, Lyons Thompson, John Muir, James Kelly, Noah Thompson, George Drake, Duncan Stewart, John McDonald, and John Fraser Jr.

In 1865 Rev. E. S. Rupert’s report of the Beaverton charge included Point Mara. In 1867 it was referred to as Ward Branch, then later in 1872 it was known as simply Brechin. In 1876 Brechin and Fairvalley became part of the Atherley Mission then later in 1881 a part of the Atherley charge.

Site of this church was sold back to Wm. Ainsworth in 1898 for the sum of $166.00, ten years after construction of the new church.

MINISTERS
WHO SERVED
THE AREA DURING THESE
EARLY YEARS WERE:
____________________________________________

POINT MARA MISSION
____________________________________________

1860.………………………George T. Richardson
1862.………………………George N. Cornish

BEAVERTON MISSION
________________________________________________

1864.……………………….Edmund S. Rupert
1867.……………………….John C. Wilson
1873.……………………….Edwin A. Chown
1874.……………………….Wm. H. Cairnduff
1875.……………………….Calvin Shaw

ATHERLEY MISSION
_________________________________________________

1876.………………………..Thomas A. Patchell
1878.………………………..Thomas Williams

ATHERLEY CHARGE
_________________________________________________

1881.………………………..Francis Johnston
1882.………………………..Thomas P. Steele
1883.………………………..Benjamin Greatrix & Joseph Holgate
1884.………………………..Benjamin Greatrix & H. G. Garbutt
1885.………………………..B. Mallett & G. H. Raley
1886.………………………..B. Mallett & Abram B. Osterhout
1887.………………………..R. Mallett
1888.………………………..Wm. J. Sanders

1888 TO THE
PRESENT
_____________________________________________________

Land for the present church building was purchased from Mary O’Neil on the 29th day of March, 1888, for the sum of one hundred and fifty dollars.
Records describe this land as “part of south ½, lot 11, in the 4th concession of Mara being 3/10 acre more or less.
Men signing for the then known Methodist church were James Kelly, William Kelly , Salathiel Prophet, Silvanus Prophet, George Ruttle and William McPhee.
On 30th of July, 1889, a mortgage to the extent of $1650.00 was taken out at 6% interest, to finance construction of the present church building. The principle was repaid at the rate of $100.00 per year from 1890 through 1897. The balance of the mortgage was retired on the 1st of March 1898.
In 1889, Providence (Udney), Brechin and Bolsover were points of the Brechin charge. Ministers who served at this time were: 1889-G. H. Raley; 1891–Henry Thomas; 1892–J. G. Lewis—1893— J. S. I. Wilson; 1894–W. P. Rogers.
In 1895, Udney joined the Atherley Circuit while Brechin joined with Bolsover and became a part of the Beaverton Circuit for the next 22 years. Ministers who served were: 1895–N. Harris; 1897–J. R. Butler; 1901–J. P. Berry; 1905–S. Tucker; 1908–J. G. Brown; 1909–G. McQuade; 1910–J. O. Totton; 1913–J. R. Beckel; 1915–A. E. McCutcheon.
In 1917, Brechin united with the Gamebridge Presbyterian Church and this was known as the Gamebridge Circuit. It was ably ministered to by G. M. Chidley.
In 1918, anticipating union of Methodist and Presbyterian churches, Brechin joined with the local Prebyterian churches. B. A. McKenzie served this united group until 1925.
Brechin congregation voted for union in 1925 and thus became independent of the Beaverton/Gamebridge Circuit. At this time Wm. G. Rose took up residence in Brechin to serve the newly formed united congregation. He was accommodated in the parsonage, now known as the Old Manse.
For very short periods in 1930, H. B. Herrington, then D. R. Clare served the Brechin church as well as their own circuit of Atherley, Fairvalley, and Udney.
A. P. Latter arrived from Oakwood late in 1930 to become Brechin’s minister, his first official meeting being on 15th of January 1931.
With the unfortunate destruction of the Fairvalley Church building by fire the two remaining points of Mr. Clare’s ministry were interested in uniting with Brechin.
At an official board meeting of the Atherley/Udney charge on the 7th of February 1933, Rev. Latter, Dr. Rynard and Bert Miller attended as visitors from the Brechin church.
The delegation from Brechin presented the following resolution (in part)…. “wish to place ourselves on record regarding the present developments concerning our present beloved pastor Rev. A. P. Latter, desiring to retain if possible the services of Mr. Latter who under no consideration would we allow to leave us without his advising that it was his desire to do so, and with the possibility of a larger field opening itself advantageously and with his unselfish co-operation we hope to bring about a larger field, namely a union with the United Church of Udney, God willing.”
At this meeting, Udney approved the proposed union subject to approval of the congregations and Presbytery to be effective July 1, 1933.
At a meeting date June 29, 1933, Mr. Clare reported that he had engaged the services of Mr. Latter as assistant pastor at a salary of 500 dollars.

SOME
IMPROVEMENTS
_____________________________________

A bell donated by Mr. Gordon Bricker was installed in 1941. Mr. Jack Brockie was given the honour of the first ringing, following the dedication by Rev. Gardiner on the 24th day of November that year.
In 1951, the church hall was added. The architect was Mel Conkwright; the builder Don Graham and the contractor Jay Moffat. Construction is a bit unique, the walls being of short pieces of cedar rail set in mortar. Mrs. Pat McGee donated the cedar rails. The names of Harris and Baird were conspicuous in the procurement of materials. It has been a most useful addition for church related as well as community activites.
Minutes of official board meeting dated 28 January 1957 show footings poured for the new manse. Instigation of action for this building must be credited to Rev. W. H. Stewart, although the first occupant was his successor, Rev. & Mrs. Jefferson Neal in August of that year. Sale of the Old Manse was approved in April of 1956 for $5,946.68. This helped to defray the $15,247.21 cost of the new manse which was shared by the three congregations.
Since 1982 a garage has been added to the manse property as well as a pitched roof on the manse.
Recent improvements to the church building include insulation and carpeting to add to the comfort of church worship and church school instruction.

SANCTUARY
__________________________________

The memory of former members of the congregation lives on with the viewing of the many plaques and plates depicting memorial bequests.

Note:

Website Exec.


Submission Committee:
Frances Laver
Lisa Burke
Fred Lamb
Mike Crosby


Content:
P.D.McNamee

Visitors
wordpress com stats plugin
On This Day
Birthdates (Ramara)