| HISTORY OF THE ORIGINAL CHURCH BUILDING
_________________________________________________________“We must go back to the early days of settlement, to trace the story of Presbyterianism in this area. Ministers travelled over scattered districts to conduct services and administer the Sacraments to Presbyterians, and others, well over 100 years ago.” Written by the Session of Gamebridge Presbyterian Church -1953
The first grant of one acre of land was made by William McBain and his wife, Janet McBain on the first day of December 1866. The deed was registered on the first day of January 1867.A frame church was erected close to the Talbot River, on the north side, in Mara Township, Ontario County. Trustees were John McGregor, Nicol Campbell, and Malcolm Montgomery. The date of organization was not recorded. The name given was South Mara Presbyterian Church.In 1868 a white brick church, seating two hundred was built. Who preached and dedicated the church was not recorded. The Rev. John McLachlan was the first resident minister.
In 1879, on the fourteenth day of April, one-half acre of land adjoining, in consideration of fifty dollars, was purchased from David McBain and his wife Catherine McBain. The deed was registered on April 19th, 1879. Trustees at this time were Michael Simpson, Neil Westcott and John McKay.
MINISTERS WHO SERVED
Rev, John McLachlan
HISTORY OF THE PRESENT CHURCH BUILDING, 1913-2008
In 1913 the congregation decided to replace the white brick church with a more adaptable building; the present structure. Approximate cost, including volunteer labour was $7,500 to $8,000. It was dedicated on the 28th of December 1913 by Dr. Alfred Gandier, then Principal of Knox College, Toronto. Rev. T. A. Symington was the resident minister until June 1914. Up to that time the Gamebridge and Knox Presbyterian Church, Beaverton were one charge.
In June 1914, Knox Beaverton and St. Andrew’s, Beaverton united, creating a self-sustainable charge, and leaving Gamebridge without a minister or a manse. During 1914-15 and part of 1916, Knox Gamebridge carried on with student supply. In 1916 a fine manse was erected at a cost of approximately $4,000 that was later sold in 1946 for $3,025.
Late in 1917, by amalgamation the Church joined with the Brechin Methodist Church, under our Presbytery. We became one charge and remained that way until the disruption in 1925, when the amalgamation was dissolved on June 10th.
Following church union, we again joined with the Beaverton Presbyterian congregation and have remained as one charge since then.
MINISTERS WHO SERVED
Rev, T, A, Symington, 1910-1914
-John McNabb, Nicol Campbell, Malcolm Montgomery, Alexander Campbell, Donald Calder, Angus McDougall, Duncan McNabb, John McKay, John Windatt, William Stewart, Donald Gilchrist, W. A. Barrett, Duncan McCuaig, Peter Windatt, Peter McDougall, A. D. Carson, James J. Fisher, Angus Gilchrist, Peter Gilchrist, Duncan McCuaig, Willaim Wallace, Harry Furniss, Clarence Hewitt, Grant Windatt, Archie Wither, Harvey Westcott, Ilene Hewitt, Jackie Brodie, Roberta Mitchell, Jim Westcott, Hilda Howard, Mary Currie, Bill McEachren, Ed Alexander, George Francis, Don Grant, Herb Furniss, Barry Grant, Jan Toebes.
The brass collection plates were donated by Lillie Windatt in memory of her husband Grant in 1979.