TOWNSHIP OF DALTON
Northwest corner of Victoria County, adjoined by townships of Digby to the east, Carden to the south, Rama in Simcoe County to the west and town of Gravenhurst in Muskoka district to the north.
The township is on the south edge of the Pre Cambrian Shield consisting of granite rock with little or no covering of soil and many exposed boulders.
Three rivers flowing from east to west across the township. They are the Black River in the north, the Cranberry in the middle and the head in the south, all joining the Severn River and running in Georgian Bay. There are a number of small lakes. The biggest of these are Young Lake in the southwest and Cranberry Lake in the east central area.
Sebright on the southeast edge, Sadowa in the west centre and Uphill on the southeast edge.
Highway 503 on the south which is part of the historic Monck Road, Black River Road on the north which was used by the lumbermen in the early days and Sadowa Road on the west which links them together.
Township survey completed, September 20, 1861. First crown deed or patent issued to William Young on June 23, 1865 on Lots 30 and 31, Concession 1 in the southwest corner. Approximately 15,500 acres or more than one quarter of the township remains crown land.
Became part of Victoria county along with townships of Ryde, Draper and Macauly
(now part of Muskoka) in 1863. Separated from them and joined Carden in 1865. Became separate municipality, January 1, 1887. Union School sections with adjoining townships were formed at Sebright and Uphill in 1869. First school built in township in 1872 at Dartmoor.
1871 – 176
1958 – 180
Addition with township office 1984
Built in township, Sadowa 1896, Uphill, 1896, Dartmoor, 1906.
Sadowa United Church is the only church remaining..