Please Support
Our Sponsors

SMOKE-SCARRED RUINS ARE ALL THAT REMAIN OF HALL AT RATHBURN
July 6, 1932
____________________________________________

Rathburn, July 6.–All that remains today of the Rathburn hall and the adjoining poolroom here that was razed by fire of undetermined origin last week is smoke-scarred ruins.

Fanned by a high wind, the fire threatened the homes of Mr. Dan McInnis and Mr. Joseph Lee and also the blacksmith’s shop of Mr. McInnis. Although the roofs of two of the buildings were ablaze, neighbours saved the homes by fighting the flames with buckets of water.

The first to discover the blaze, which broke out early Friday morning was Mrs. Howard Brace, who resides across the road from the destroyed building. She aroused her husband who sounded the alarm. When the villagers were aroused the hall, which was a frame building, was a mass of flames and efforts were confined to keeping the fire from spreading.

The Rathburn hall and poolroom was owned by Mr. Watson of Washago.

Note:

Website Exec.


Submission Committee:
Frances Laver
Lisa Burke
Fred Lamb
Mike Crosby


Content:
P.D.McNamee

Visitors
wordpress com stats plugin