...................... South East corner of Lo6 Con 6
..................... North East corner of Lot 5 Con 6
.............................. N 44' 36.398"
................................ W 079' .923"
El.804 Ft
jim

Re: The Finn and Burke Families

Post by jim »

Just found out there were 8 Finn children Louis, William, Catherine, Mary Madeline, Elizabeth Mabel, Florence Margaret, Viola Anne, and Helen Cox. Thanks Elaine.
jim

Post by jim »

Maureen
How many children do you think Mary Ann Burke Finn and David William Finn had? We see on the censuses William James Finn, Catherine Finn, Mary M Finn, Elizabeth Mabel Finn, Florence Margaret Finn, and Viola Anne Finn, but are there others?
What ever happened to William J Finn and Mary M Finn, your uncle and aunt?
jim

Post by jim »

Mike's grandmother is Frances Mary Finn b. 1879, married John Harris, so her married name would be Francis Mary Harris and she had 12 kids -all in Wisconsin.

Frances was the first child of the 2nd marriage of John Finn to Elizabeth Donovan, then came the following kids:Catherine,Joseph,Margaret Mary(married a McDonald), then Jeremiah( or Jerry) Finn.
My guess is the Betty McDonald must be the daughter of Margaret Mary Finn McDonald.

LInda
jim

Post by jim »

rockwell1918
Post subject: Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 03:24 PM

Thank you, Maureen, this really helps. What a sad story about Tim. And poor Red Dave going to find out about the murder and threatened like that. Must have been a rough group of "houligans" at that mining camp. Wonder when that murder happened?
Sad, too about your brother, and that says a lot that Mary Ann Burke Finn stayed with your mother during that hard time.
My grgrandmother Ellen Burke (Colville) was Mary Ann Burke's (and Margaret Burke's) oldest sister, so she was your mother's Aunt. Had you ever heard of her? At first she was Ellen McCuaig, but Duncan McCuaig died leaving her with 3 small children. Then she married William John Colville and had 8 more children including my grandmother Audrey Blanche Colville.

Did you know Lizzie Burke, wife of Michael Finn? They had a James Patrick Finn, Russell Finn and Catherine Finn--I knew this just from U.S. census information.

I found a marriage certificate for White Dave, he apparently married Clara Reid.

Do you know why your grandfather's Red Dave's brothers both died on 14 Sept, 1931 (and then another brother died 2 mos. later)? Sounds like an accident? It must have been a hard time for Red Dave to lose 3 brothers in 2 months.
You and my mother would be 2nd cousins, but you are closer in age to me, because Ellen Burke was so much older than her sister Mary Ann Burke Finn.

Did your mother have just Larry and you? Sorry for all the questions!
My email is entnous53@aol.com--
Looking forward to hearing from you and any information or stories would be great.

Linda Peterson
jim

Post by jim »

mklafave
Post subject: Posted: Jan 14, 2009 - 07:51 AM

I am (Elizabeth Mabel Finn's) daughter, Maureen.Mary Ann Burke Finn wintered in Detroit because of her asthma. She stayed with each daughter. She had four in Detroit. My brother Larry died when he was five years old and Mary Ann(the Misses) stayed with Mabel because my mother was griestricken and she never got over Larrys death. My brother died in 1945 when I was 2 years old.
Viola and her husband, Gordon Freeland, and daughter Elaine moved back to Canada in 1946 and bought Aunt Kate Burk's farm and Wayne was born several years later. Aunt Maggie Minnus (Margaret Burke) lived in Saginaw, Mi and took Red Dave's oldest daughter Madeline to live with her because of Aunt Maddies asthma.
The three Dave Finn's were cousins. They took their own fathers middle initials to keep the mail straight but locals called them Red Dave, Black Dave and white Dave.
jim

Post by jim »

rockwell1918
Post subject: RE: Burke-Finn Posted: Jan 13, 2009 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the GPS coordinates. I will try to "fly over them" with Google Earth.
I have another Dave Finn, the son of John Finn and Margaret O'Connor born in 1867, before John Finn remarried to Elizabeth Donovan. Is this who you are calling WHITE DAVE?

Also, does anyone know who was the wife of Timothy Finn (Timothy was born in 1847 in Ireland-son of David Finn Sr and Mary Condon) ? She died young, because he is a widower with 6 kids in the 1891 census.

Sarge- who were the relatives you found of White Dave?
Also remind me who Elaine Finn is and where she lives now?
jim

Post by jim »

Sarge
Post subject: Burke-Finn Posted: Jan 11, 2009 - 08:49 AM

G.P.S. coordinates for Ned Burke Farm N44' 34.810"
W 079' 02.473"
El.791ft

GPS cordinates for Finn Homested N 44' 36.398"
W 079' .923"
El.804 Ft
Finn cordinates are only app. since the homestead is i/2 mile down a blind sideroad and it was -20C here yesterday and three feet of snow

Found more Finn's over their related to White Dave
Jack
jim

Post by jim »

Site Admin

linda
Today's news
4 finn girls in Detreoit-Florece McGillvary-Mabel Kenny--Madelaine?? Helan Cox
Florence Married a Duncan McGilvary from Detroit but didn't have any children
Gps reading for Burke finn Farmsis general area
There is only one Finn left in Carden (Annie) Black Dave's Grandaughter and no Burke'sBut I know 10-15 in the immediate area
Mrs. Red Dave was probably in Detroit after the trajic lose of a grandchild-- Gossip line
WAs incontact with Elaine (Finn-Freeland)Bradt
Jack
jim

Post by jim »

Orville
Post subject: Burke --Finn Posted: Jan 08, 2009 - 08:09 AM

We don't know what ever happened to Florence Finn past the 1930 Detroit census. She may have married, but the US doesn't have as good records online like Canada, so we don't know who she married.
That would be great if you could ask those two, Elaine and William Finn's daughter
I thought I'd tell you that Michael Finn and Elizabeth Burke had 3 children, but you have 2 on your tree. You are missing Russell Finn. There was James b 1905-1981, then Russell b 1908, and then much later came Catherine b1920
jim

Post by jim »

I am in Houston, Texas. I am a grgrandaughter of Ellen Burke, she is the first child of Patrick Burke and Catherine Tully, born abt 1861. I am researching her brothers and sisters, John, Edward, James, Thomas, Margaret, Mary Ann Burke Finn, and Lizzie Burke Finn. And of course, their parents Patrick and Catherine Burke and as far back as I can go.
jim

Post by jim »

rockwell1918
Post subject: The Finn and Burke Families Posted: Jan 04, 2009 - 07:29 PM

I am trying to figure out the Finn families who are connected to the Patrick Burke family.Three of his children married Finns. Edward Burke married Catherine Finn (b 1868), Mary Ann Burke married David William Finn (b 1859) and Lizzie Burke married Michael Finn (b 1875 or1878). Were Michael and David William Finn cousins? And was Catherine a sister to one of them, or was she from a different family? Linda Peterson