Hopkins Bay

Moderators: jim, ceadmin, mart

frank

Hopkins Bay

Post by frank »

New Request
Looking for Historical information on the Hopkins Family name.My great grandfather was Benjamin Henry Hopkins who was married to Mary Ann Garnett the granddaughter of Captain James Garnett One of the first settlers to the Rama area.We are not sure who originally settled on Hopkins Bay ,My great grandfather Benjamin Hopkins , then passed to my grandfather William Hopkins, or if my grandfather owned it and settled there. The Hopkins Cottage was located in Hopkins Bay. Thankyou Wayne Hopkins
mike

Post by mike »

Wayne, there is a HOPKINS family tree in the genealogy section of this site. If you can add more info to this family it would be appericated.

the 1869 directory of Rama Township indicates Benjamin HOPKINS was residing on parts of Lot 3 & 4, front concesision.-- the shoreline of these lots were occupied by a McPherson.

the 1877 County Altas, does show Benjamin HOPKINS in this location too.
visit, (to see the location on the map.)
http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/county ... nID=111809

I may suggest a visit to the Simcoe County land registry office in Barrie, Ontario, to determine when the cottage property on Hopkins Bay was acquired. All you need is the lot and concession number of the cottage property. They will have records of all land holders right back to the orginal land grant in the early to mid 1800's.
jack

Hopkins Bay

Post by jack »

Found this on my hardrive dated March 2011
Mrs. English, who was one of the Hopkins relatives (she seemed to be everyone's grandmother or great-aunt), owned the big house on the point. The next house to hers (on the reserve) belonged to Ryerson and Elizabeth Snache. The English/Hopkins house was a big Victorian frame house with a wide porch and a lot of rooms and had a lot of property on the point and around the corner to the next bay.

Mrs English had two daughters, Gladys Hasselfeldt and Muriel Madigan. Gladys had one son, Tommy who joined the army and was killed on the artillery range during training out west before he served ( early 1960s). Muriel had a larger family - Dawn and Bill Jr. still live in Orillia. Others live in the Point au Baril area (Bill was a train engineer) The property was left jointly to the two daughters. They shared the house as a summer home for a while, but didn't have the heart or the money to keep it up and it fell into disrepair. A part of the lot was severed and Muriel and her husband built a smaller house on it. On the bay side of the Madigan house and separated from it by a hedge was the compound of houses bought by Elda Elder. Across the road a house was built during the last 20 years by another Hopkins (Ralph?) who is a builder.

The Garnett family settled in the mid-1850s and ran the store and post office in the area which was called Fawn at the time.

There is quite a bit about the Garnetts in the Rama book.

Hope this helps
garth

Re: Hopkins Bay

Post by garth »

jack wrote:Found this on my hardrive dated March 2011
Mrs. English, who was one of the Hopkins relatives (she seemed to be everyone's grandmother or great-aunt), owned the big house on the point. The next house to hers (on the reserve) belonged to Ryerson and Elizabeth Snache. The English/Hopkins house was a big Victorian frame house with a wide porch and a lot of rooms and had a lot of property on the point and around the corner to the next bay.

Mrs English had two daughters, Gladys Hasselfeldt and Muriel Madigan. Gladys had one son, Tommy who joined the army and was killed on the artillery range during training out west before he served ( early 1960s). Muriel had a larger family - Dawn and Bill Jr. still live in Orillia. Others live in the Point au Baril area (Bill was a train engineer) The property was left jointly to the two daughters. They shared the house as a summer home for a while, but didn't have the heart or the money to keep it up and it fell into disrepair. A part of the lot was severed and Muriel and her husband built a smaller house on it. On the bay side of the Madigan house and separated from it by a hedge was the compound of houses bought by Elda Elder. Across the road a house was built during the last 20 years by another Hopkins (Ralph?) who is a builder.

The Garnett family settled in the mid-1850s and ran the store and post office in the area which was called Fawn at the time.

There is quite a bit about the Garnetts in the Rama book.

Hope this helps
garth

RE: Re: Hopkins Bay

Post by garth »

I am a direct descendant of the Garnett/Hopkins/English/Madigan family. W.A.(Bill) Madigan was my grandfather. there is a good tree in here full of the Hopkins family. I can send you a link to my tree if ya like, have traced the Garnetts to Normandy France in 1640's in my searches.
Last edited by garth on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garth

Post by garth »

P.S. the Garnetts settled in rama in 1836 !
garth

Post by garth »

Ben and Mary Ann did live in that old house on the point, I posted pics of Grandma English, and Gladys Hasselfeldt in here. There used to be two tombstones on the property at a pond (dried up years ago) I'm pretty sure they were Ben and Mary Ann's. I was out there last week looking for them, with no luck ! they're under broken 100 year old weeping willows, I know where they were but could not find them, My grandfather Bill, always kept it cleared out an cut the grass around the area, he's been gone 15 yrs. He was talking about having them moved in the early 80's when lots were being developed on the bay, he didn't want them damaged, but none of my existing family knows if they were moved ! I wonder if the township has records of family burial sites ? I have extensive histories of the family and will share them with you !
garth

Post by garth »

Here's the Hopkin's part of my tree. there was more than one Benjamin !
garth

Post by garth »

This one shows Anne Elizabeth Hopkins, She was given the land, an past it on to my grandmother and great aunt, Muriel and Gladys...I am actually named after Gladys's son Tommy Kenneth Hasselfeldt, who you mentioned. I have lots of info if you want more.