McKinnon/McFadyen family of Coll, Scotland

Moderators: jim, ceadmin, mart

LRBurke

McKinnon/McFadyen family of Coll, Scotland

Post by LRBurke »

I am researching the McKinnon/McFadyen family of Coll, Scotland. I recently read an article from the 1989 Reflections of the Past on a Hugh McKinnon family that emigrated from Coll to Rama in 1848. Is there anyone I could contact about this family? Would you know where they are buried etc.
I do know the McFadyen genealogy (Hugh McKinnon of Coll married Margaret/Peggy McFadyen of Tiree) from the Island of Tiree.
Glenda from Nanaimo, BC
Mike_1

RE: McKinnon/McFadyen family of Coll, Scotland

Post by Mike_1 »

Most of the McKINNON Clan are buried in the Uptergrove Knox Cemetery, you will find this on this site. On the main page, left side click on Ramara History, then scroll to Ramara Cemeteries, then to Uptergrove Knox Presbyterian. It does appear that the 1st generation of Hugh McKINNON had a stone, or if he did, it has not survived. In the 1851/52 census, his wife Margaret is not listed, she likely died prior. At that time there was no locate church, or cemetery.
McPhadden

Post by McPhadden »

Thank you for posting my query on McKinnon McFadyen.
And thank you for the info on the Uptergrove Cemetery. I have looked at their information many times as I not only have family by the surname McKinnon from Coll but also Johnston from Coll. Hugh McKinnon's wife Margaret McPhaden from Tiree had a younger sister Mary (who married Donald Johnston of Coll). Their family also left Coll - Donald, Mary and only child Charles, and settled in the Oro area. Mary and Donald are buried at Uptergrove. Their son Charles (wife Isabella Jane Thomas) in Orillia, St. Andrews.
One of Hugh McKinnon's daughters -Mary born 1822, married John McKinnon. (buried Uptergrove). Another daughter Sarah/Marion married James McKenzie of Coll.(buried Uptergrove). Hugh's youngest son Donald married Timbrell/Miriam Campbell of Oro. It is not known where they are buried. Donald died 17 Nov 1890, Rama, Miriam died Dec 17, 1899 Rama. Any ideas where they could be buried?
dann

McKinnon/McFayden Family

Post by dann »

Our neighbours (and cousins) were Robert and John MacDonald. Robert married Evah Leigh and they had a son named John Leigh. He married late in life, now deceased, leaving no children. the parents of our Robert MacDonald were John and Margaret. but no one called Hugh.

Norman McKinnon and Alexandria MacDonald: Norman's parents were Murdock McKinnon and Catherine MacLean;
Murdock's parents were Archibald MacKinnon and Christina MacKinnon; Archibald had 3 siblings: Malcolm, John and Catherine).
Catherine married Malcom MacDonald, Catherine and Malcom MacDonald had 10 children, one of whom was John, father of our neighbours Robert and John(above)
Sorry I haven't been able to be more helpful.
Barb
McPhadden

Post by McPhadden »

Thank you Barb,
Do you know a living descendant of this family? I am interested in having copies of the many wonderful family photos in the Mara Book.
Glenda
dann

Post by dann »

rewund
McPhadden

Post by McPhadden »

Hello Ramara folk,
I purchased a copy of they came to mara. I have several folk trying to find who has the MacDonald photos in this book. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Glenda
McPhadden

Post by McPhadden »

I would also like to personally thank those who have helped me. You have been very generous. Thank You. Glenda