Some Questions about the McLean Family

Moderators: jim, ceadmin, mart

LBurke

Some Questions about the McLean Family

Post by LBurke »

The Census info suggests that Michael McLean and Ellen Collision McLean had a daughter, Rosie McLean (b.1823, Dundas, Ont.), who married Andrew Holmes (b.1817 in Scotland) and lived with her husband and family in Mara from 1852-1881. Her death date and place are unknown.

Could Ellen Collision McLean (182) have been born in Canada in 1801? She is in the Mara census for 1852, 1871, and 1881. Any idea where she might have died and been buried? She is my 3-great-grandmother. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Could Michael McLean (181) have been born in Ireland abt 1799? He's listed in the Mara census for 1851-1871, but his wife is listed as a widow in the 1881 census. Any idea where he is buried??

Peg
LBurke

Post by LBurke »

I had no luck finding a death registration for Ellen. The book- 'they came to mara' page 691, indicates she died in 1882. She was R.C., but there are no grave markers in either St. Andrew's or St. Columbkille's, that bear her or her husband's name.

A search of the death/burial records of these Churches may reveal something, but these records are sketchy at best. The Toronto Archdiocese has these records on film, and are also available thru LDS.

In the 1881 census Ellen was a widow, living with her daughter Hannah, Mrs. Patrick Cavanaugh. Some of the Cavanaughs are buried at St. Andrew's, Brechin, this would be the first place I would start.

The 1919 obit, of Ellen's daughter ,Emma (Mrs. A. Gattie) indicates she was born in Whitby, "where she spent her early life" prior to coming to Mara.

The 1861 census indicates Ellen was married in 1821.-- I am not sure how far back the records go at Oshawa's St. Gregory-- this was the first parish in Ontario County, and in the beginning the priest travelled as far north as Orillia. They would have served Whitby too. Again these records are on film at the Toronto Archdiocese. The Whitby library also has a great archives section-- All the census has Ellen born in Canada in 1801-- the Collision's name should show up, in some of these records.

Mike
ronald

Post by ronald »

My name is Ronald E. Elliston. The following below are my Grandparents.
ELLISTON/In Loving Memory Of/Edward H. Elliston/1885-1971/Beloved Husband Of/Delia M. Guest/Delia M. Guest/1879-1973/Beloved Wife Of/Edward H. Elliston
Would like to find out more about my Heritage on both of them.
I have lots of orginals photos and I am willing to share them with you. Also names I do not know from the photos.
mcrosby

Post by mcrosby »

Ronald, as you know, your grand parents are buried in the Atherley Union Cemetery, however there are no historical douments that link them to this area. They married 20 Apr 1916, in Toronto, where Edward had been living for the previous 9 years. He was born in London England in 1885, a son of James Elliston & Elizabeth Hitchings. Your grand mother Dellia, was born in Toronto, a daughter of Worthy Guest & Mary Williams.
reference MS932_371, # 002552.
They must of came to the Atherley area, sometime after 1916. Perhaps, other may be able to add more.

Mike