Patrick Moffatt

Moderators: jim, ceadmin, mart

mcrosby

Patrick Moffatt

Post by mcrosby »

I am looking for some info on Patrick Moffatt, for the time period from 1910 to his death.
Patrick was born 10 Feb. 1858, son of Jeremiah Moffatt and Mary Kelly, brother to John 1859-1931, Catherine (Mrs. Jas. Maloney) 1860-1943, Bridget 1862-?, Mary 1864-?, Margaret Ann (Mrs. Michael McDonnell) 1866-1957, Honora/Nora 1869-1946, Jeremiah 1871-1954.
He married Mary Scott in Victoria Road in 1877, they had 3 children in Mara, then moved to Oil City, PA, they had 3 more children. About 1910 Patrick returned to Canada, while his adult age children remained in the States, he worked in Toronto for some time, then returned to Brechin.
The Dec. 30, 1943 obit of his sister, Mrs. James Maloney, indicates Patrick survived her, and was living in Brechin.
I can not located any grave marker for Patrick, he could be in an unmarked grave, most likely St. Andrew's in Brechin.
Does anyone have any info on Patrick in his latter years of life?
jim

Patrick Moffatt

Post by jim »

I was hoping find out -1) his last place of residence-- sounds like Brechin. 2) his approximate date of death- -- this help will narrow down my search of the Packett & Times-- we know he was still alive in Dec. 1943- --he was born in 1858-- so best guess is he died in the mid 1940's

Mike
Philamean Brenan remembers Patrick Moffit as per Barry Lee. (in the church yard Sun Morning) She remembers him in his old age walking uptown talking to himself
She did say a person named Mary Walsh used to visit him regularly
Joe
mcrosby

Post by mcrosby »

Thank you- Mary Walsh - would would have been his grand daughter- born in Oil City, PA 1907- died in Oil City, 2005. Mary's mother Margaret Catherine Moffatt (Mrs. John Walsh) was born in Mara- 1879. she died in Oil City, PA 1960.---

Does anyone have a date of death?
JustKathHere

Re: Patrick Moffatt

Post by JustKathHere »

jim wrote: Philamean Brenan remembers Patrick Moffit
Philomena Brennan is my Dad's cousin. She is the daughter of Timothy Harrington (brother to my grandmother Carmel). Their parents were Daniel William Harrington & Mary Catherine Murphy. Mary Catherine is a descendant of Jeremiah Murphy; Peter Robinson settler.

Sorry this doesn't help you Mike, but the name caught my eye :-)

Kathi
jim

Patrick Moffatt

Post by jim »

Let's try this one again
mcrosby

Post by mcrosby »

After a considerable time searching the obits of the Orillia Packet &Times, to no avail, I did find an obituary on Patrick Moffatt, in the Oil City, Pa, newspaper. He died 18 June 1949, at the Orillia Soldiers Memorial Hospital. He is buried in an unmarked grave in St. Andrew's Cemetry, Brechin.
The 1949 Packet & Times never made it to micro film.

A lesson learned, if you can't find info in the local paper where they currently live, search the papers of where they prevoiusly lived. In this case, Patrick had not lived in Oil City for over 40 years, but they still ran the obit.

Mike