Danton

Moderators: jim, ceadmin, mart

danton

Danton

Post by danton »

The Danton family came to Canada in 1872 and soon after settled in Mara Township. Does anyone have pictures of John and Phoebe Danton or their son Benjamin who married catherine Wallace. Or know anything about them.
mart
Site Admin

Danton

Post by mart »

Any idea of location in Mara or religion --so we have a area to start reseach
Jack
Last edited by mart on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcrosby

Post by mcrosby »

There are several historical records on this family availble on Ancestry.ca things like John Danton's death registration, 1891 census etc. You can get a free 14 day trail, or some libraries have an internet connection.

the book entitled 'they came to Mara...' has 2 pages 198/199 on this family and lists the names of Benjamine's 8 children.

If you would like these documents- email me offline.

Mike
danton

Post by danton »

I have many of these documents. THey attended the Gamebridge Presbytrian Church. I have pictures of their gravestones. My brother and I went back concession 7 to lot 6 and saw what was once their property. I had hoped to find a house but the evertything had been bulldozed. I was hoping to get a picture of the house. I know they moved to Orillia as soon as Benjamin's parents died. When I looked at the farmland I could tell why. It must have been a very poor farm. There is a gold watch in my broters possession. It was said to belong to a relative that died in Mud Lake. As my father said it was taken from the dead man. They could see his body through the ice. Fact or fiction I do not know. One thing I don't know is when the family moved to Mara or when exactly they moved. I also know they attended SS#9 in Mara.
mcrosby

Post by mcrosby »

Sounds like you have done a lot of research and things are well in hand.

I will keep a eye out for the story on the person in Mud Lake. The book on the pioneers of Mara has a copy of the Orillia Packet and Times obits for Mrs. Robert Monahan nee Danton, july 1, 1943 & Ben Danton 13 jan. 1944
mcrosby

Post by mcrosby »

to help in our search, do you have a timeline, when the watch was recovered?
danton

Post by danton »

This I don't know. If they moved there in the 1870"s It would have to be after then and if he moved off when his mother died it would have to be before the 1820's. IT might have been a Danton who drowned
jim

Danton

Post by jim »

Check it out
Submission Committee Review
jim

Danton

Post by jim »

I just noticed three Dantons in the 1908 school picture for # 9 Mara
They were George--John and Jessie--
Click Ramara Memories--All pictures (top Left)--- Ramara Schools and Classes
Page down to #9 Mara