These are significantly historical articules submitted by our correspondants
THE MONCK ROAD
May 1, 1868
Story submitted by Carden corespondant FRances Laver
BRECHIN PUBLIC SCHOOL REUNION
September 7th & 8th, 2013
CALLING ALL STUDENTS & TEACHERS
WHO ATTENDED THE OLD ONE ROOM SCHOOL
‘BRECHIN PUBLIC SCHOOL, SS # 3, MARA’
FESTIVITIES AT BRECHIN LEGION
Sat, September 7th- MAIN SOCIAL
Sun, September 8th – BREAKFAST & FAREWELL
All former Alumni (and their significant other)
are invited to attend.
‘Doctors of Ontario County’ by Dr. T.E. Kaiser, 1934
These are the Doctors who Practised in Mara Township up to when the book was written in 1934.
Located at 5808 Kirkfield Road, just south of the Monck Road. This cemetery is on the boundary of the former Rama Township, in the former Ontario County, (now Ramara Township, Simcoe County) and Dalton Township, formerly of Victoria County, (now City of Kawartha Lakes). Interments would include individuals from both of the former Ontario and Victoria counties.
photos of the grave markers may be found at Ontario Gravemarker Gallery:
Visit- Sebright Church, under Active Topics & Ramara history, to learn more about this Church and it’s cemetery
Submitted by Murray R. Binsted
This article shows the progressive nature of Mara–Rama farmers Submitted by ED MARTIN
IN 1869 Rama was separated from Mara to form it’s own township
IN 1994 Rama was again added to Mara to form the united township of Ramara
My maternal grandparents Frederick J. Smith (1878) and Margaret Ann (McMillan 1866) …
This article researched by Carden correspondent Frances Laver
The story of Longford Township is one of tall pine timber, crashing logs on flooding waters, sturdy lumberjacks and raging forest fires. It is the story of the South Ontario lumber industry itself. It began back in May 1865 when all the land forming the township was sold to the Canadian Land and Emigration Company. Another historical move took place in 1867 when John Thomson, a lumberman, purchased it for $33,000. In 1900 the pine timber limits almost exhausted, the land was purchased by the Standard Chemical Company which sought the remaining hardwood in the country
This Articule from Carden correspondent Frances Laver FIRES OF 1881.